Gluten-Free Rosemary Roast Beef Sandwich with Herbed Goat Cheese
Sandwiches just got a whole lot better with homemade roast beef. The best way to make roast beef is by using a leaner cut of meat, such as our 100% pasture raised, grass fed and finished beef London Broil or Eye of Round. These cuts will give that nice texture when sliced and locks in those juicy flavors while cooking. Meal prepping roast beef is great for quick lunches or make a larger batch for a fun summer gathering with a build your own sandwich bar! This roast beef pairs perfectly with AWG Gluten Free Loaves, such as the Rosemary, Everyday or Everything Loaf.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours (depending on size)
1 (2-3lbs) beef London broil or eye of round
2 tbsp avocado oil
1 tbsp dried rosemary, crushed
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
1 cup beef, chicken bone broth or water
Herbed Goat Cheese
8oz goat cheese or dairy free spread
¼ tsp kosher salt
¼ cup chives, diced
(Marinate at least 3 hours but recommend 12 hours for maximum flavor)
1 medium red onion, sliced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried tarragon
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup olive oil
Sandwich FixingsAWG Gluten Free Rosemary or Everything Loaf
Mixed greens or arugula
Marinated onions (see recipe) or use thinly sliced raw onions
Herbed goat cheese
Make the Roast Beef
- Preheat the oven to 500F.
- Place the London broil or eye of round in the roasting pan. Add avocado oil to the beef, making sure to rub the oil all over the roast until completely coated. Season with rosemary, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt and pepper.
- Remove the beef from the roasting pan and set aside. Pour 1 cup of beef bone broth into the pan. Place the roasting rack on top and place the beef on the rack.
- Turn the oven temperature down to 475F. Roast the beef for 10 to 15 minutes depending on size. To figure out the roast time, calculate 5 minutes per pound for medium rare and about 6 minutes for medium.
- Now, turn off the oven and let the beef sit in the oven. Do not open the door, as the heat will escape. Let the meat slowly cook for 2 ½ hours.
- Remove from the oven and let the meat rest on a cutting board for 15 minutes before slicing.
- Slice just enough roast beef for making sandwiches.
- Store the roast in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week or slice and freeze. We recommend keeping the leftover roast whole to lock in the juice, when storing in the fridge.
Make the Herbed Goat Cheese
- This spread can be made ahead of time or right before serving sandwiches.
- In a small bowl, add goat cheese. Either use a whisk to lightly whip by hand or use a stand mixer.
- Fold diced chives and salt into whipped goat cheese. Set aside in the fridge until ready to use.
- Store leftover herbed goat cheese in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Make the Marinated Onions
- Ideally, these onions need to marinate for at least 3 hours; however, we recommend 12 hours for maximum flavor.
- Use a mandoline or a sharp knife to thinly slice red onion into ¼ inch thick medallions. Place sliced onions in a jar that has a tight fitting lid.
- In a small bowl, add olive oil, apple cider vinegar, dried oregano, dried tarragon and kosher salt. Stir until fully combined. Pour the mixture over the onions, making sure they are submerged.
- Keep the jar on the counter for a few hours to marinate; however, for best flavor wait 12 hours before using. Store on the counter for 3 days, making sure onions are fully submerged, so they don’t go bad.
Tip: Use these marinated onions for burgers, salads, burrito bowls, cheese platters and so much more!
Build the Sandwich
- To build the roast beef sandwiches, use sliced and toasted AWG Gluten Free Rosemary Loaf.
- Place a generous amount of herbed goat cheese on the bottom and top of the toasted bread, followed by thinly sliced roast beef, mixed greens, marinated onions and then top with the herbed goat cheese top sliced bread.