Healthy Instant Pot Shredded Turkey Soup (Whole30, Paleo and Keto Friendly)
This turkey soup is full of all the flavors and reminds us of Thanksgiving. Think smelling sage, rosemary and thyme, while the turkey is roasting in the oven. Plus, it comes together with very little effort in the Instant Pot but it won’t be lacking flavor. This turkey soup is perfect for everyone in your household, as it's whole 30, paleo and keto friendly! Sip on this bowl if you’re feeling under the weather too. Pair with rice, zucchini noodles or egg noodles to make it a full meal. This recipe is made using our Turkey Bone Broth; however, any bone broth will do the trick. Browse through our Prepared Broths or grab bones to make a batch yourself!
Instant Pot Shredded Turkey Soup (Whole30, Paleo and Keto Friendly)
Prep: 10 mins, Cook: 50 mins, Pressure Wait: 25 mins, Total: 1 hr 25 mins
2 tsp avocado oil
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup leeks, sliced into circles
2 large carrots cut into circles or half-circles
1 large celery stalk, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp minced fresh sage
1 tsp minced fresh rosemary
1 tsp minced fresh thyme
1/2 tsp kosher salt
28 oz turkey bone broth
4.5 cups water or additional bone broth
1 lb turkey breast or thighs, cut in large pieces (can be mix of both or can use chicken)
Optional 1 tbsp minced parsley for topping
- Set the Instant Pot to saute mode and add in 1 tsp of the avocado oil. Stir in the onions and leeks. Cook until they start to soften, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add in the carrots and celery. Cook until the vegetables are starting to caramelize and brown, about 5 - 6 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, use ¼ tsp salt, pepper and half of the herbs (sage, rosemary, thyme). Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Remove vegetable mixture from the Instant Pot and set aside.
- Add in 1 tsp of avocado oil and then add in turkey pieces. Let the turkey sear on one side for about 5 minutes and then flip to sear on the other side, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the turkey broth, water, ¼ tsp salt and rest of herbs. Stir and top with lid.
- Set the Instant Pot to HIGH pressure on Manual mode. Reduce the time to 20 minutes. It will take about 15 minutes to come to pressure.
- Once the time expires, let the pressure release naturally, about 8 - 10 minutes. Then release the pressure manually and be careful of the steam.
- Remove the turkey pieces and shred with 2 forks or cut into chunks. It tastes better shredded though!
- Press the Saute button. Add in the veggie mixture and shredded turkey. Let the broth come up to a boil, about 10 minutes.
- Taste broth and make any flavor additions, like salt, pepper or additional herbs.
- Turn off the Instant Pot and serve in bowls topped with parsley..
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days or can freeze up to 3 months.