Cook: 1 hour Difficulty: Easy
T = Tablespoon; t = Teaspoon
3-4 lbs Diamond Mountain Ranch Chicken parts; drums, thighs or wings.
2 cups plain yogurt; whole fat
3 T lemon juice
4 garlic cloves; minced
1 T fresh cracked black pepper
1 T Garam Masala or Ras el Hanout; powder
- Using a sharp knife, score the the thickest part of the meat to allow more surface area for the marinade.
- Combine yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, pepper and spice blend in a ziplock bag. Add Chicken.
- Let rest in the fridge, in a bowl for 3-6 hours. Flipping every time you open the fridge.
Oven: Set one rack to the highest position and another to the middle position. Set broiler to high.
Grill: Preheat coals or turn all burners to full blast.
- Remove chicken from bag and rinse off excess marinade with gently running water. Pat dry with a paper towel. Set aside to air dry as much as possible, until the skin feels tacky.
- Oven: Salt chicken and place on a sheet tray (and preferably with a rack to encourage airflow) and place under the broiler until light to golden brown. 3-5 mins. Turn chicken and repeat for other side. Grill: Spread lit coals on one side of the grill (allow to preheat for 10-15 mins) or if using a gas grill, keep all burners on. Cook until light to golden brown, flip and repeat. About 3-4 mins on each side.
- Oven: Once the chicken is the color you want, turn oven from broiler to bake, setting at 325 F and move baking sheet to middle rack. Leave the door open for a minute to allow the oven to cool to temperature. Grill: Move chicken to the indirect heat side of the grill, opposite the coals or turn off half of the burners on one side and shut lid.
- Bake for 20-25 mins until internal temperature reaches 155-160F degrees with thin, crispy skin.
- Oven: Turn oven back to broil and blast the chicken for another minute or two to finish the crisp on the skin. Grill: Move chicken back to direct heat and finish until slightly spotty with black bits.
- Let meat rest for a few minutes and serve with rice and roasted summer veggies like tomatoes, onions and eggplant.